Monday, November 15, 2010

www.Speedtest.net vs. www.dslreport.net vs. command line

This is a bit off the topic of Everest software discussion, but I just wanted to point out possible deceptiveness of www.speedtest.com.  I recently received DSL service from True, ISP provider in Thailand, and when the technician test the DSL speed, they always refer to www.speedtest.com to display the result to all their customers.  But I doubt the accuracy or the validity of their results.  Within Thailand it seems to be accurate, but when you try to go outside of Thailand, I am really skeptical about the result.  I've taken the test and posting the result in the picture below.


Note the Ping result, it's 30ms to respond from a server located in the USA.  That is what made me suspicious about the truthfulness of the result.  And looking at the speed, it's even more unbelievable.  Just browsing the websites outside Thailand is very slow.  But if you look at the result, it appears that it should be very fast.

So I took another step further and used a different site to test the speed.  I went to www.dslreports.com to test the speed and here is the result.

As you can see the ping speed is a lot slower than what is reported on www.speedtest.net.  And also the performance seems to be reflective of the actual web browsing experience I am having.  But I know a lot of people would probably argue all sort of theory, so I took another test using just the simple command line function found in all Windows operating system.  the PING function and here is what the result looked like.

Note the Ping time, it's nearly the same as www.dslreports.com.  This is a built in function of Windows operating system and it's a direct test to the server in the US.

Conclusion: It appears that www.speedtest.net is deceptive in how they present their results and for a major company like True to use them as an authoritative measure of internet speed is bad business practice.  Obviously, once they are caught, they will deny that they know anything about the faulty test result. I want to think about a deeper conspiracy, but would shy away from that now.  I think company pay www.speedtest.net to come up with favorable speed result so that they can turn around and deceive their customers that their speed is fast as promise.  But it's NOT.  So be aware of ISP showing your speed test using this bogus site, for now it's bogus, unless someone can otherwise prove me wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I have recently received DSL service from True, ISP provider in Thailand, and when the technician test the DSL speed, they always refer to www.speedtest.com to display the result to all their customers.
    sap erp 6.0

    ReplyDelete